Thursday, September 07, 2006

NFL Week 1

Since I never seem to have anything to post about lately, I decided that I'll post my NFL picks each week. Feel free to use them in your own office pool, just make sure to send me a portion or your winnings. And if you lose, it's your own fault for trusting something you read on the internets. I'll probably do this on Friday normally, but since there's a game tonight, I should get it out of the way.

Miami at Pittsburgh - I'll take Pittsburgh. Miami will certainly be better this season, but I don't think they can be Pittsburgh on the road, Rothlisberger or not.

Baltimore at Tampa Bay - I think Baltimore will be better this season, with a real QB finally. But I think Tampa will get it done at home.

New Orleans at Cleveland - I should probably pick the home team just to be safe in this stinker, but I really don't like Cleveland, and I think the addition of Drew Brees does a lot for the Saints, so I'll take them here.

Atlanta at Carolina - I think Carolina is one of the top teams in the league, and I'll take them to beat Atlanta.

Seattle at Detroit - I don't think that Seattle will be as good as they were last season, but I don't think they'll have a problem with Detroit.

Philadelphia at Houston - Houston sucks, I'll take the Eagles.

New York Jets at Tennessee - I'll take the Jets, just because two of my readers are Jets fans.

Cincinnati at Kansas City - Cincinnati is a much better team, so I'll take them, even on the road.

Denver at St. Louis - I woory about Denver in the dome, but not enough to pick St. Louis to beat them.

Buffalo at New England - Sorry Chemist, but the Bills suck, give me the Patriots.

Dallas at Jacksonville - I'll be at this game, so it better not disappoint me. I'm clearly biased, but I just don't see any way that the Jaguars win this game. They are outmatched at every position except the defensive front, and they don't have a single proven receiver. I think Dallas wins easily.

Chicago at Green Bay - Green Bay sucks, Favre will throw three picks and one will be returned for a TD. The Bears can then cruise to victory. It'll be a long year in Titletown.

San Francisco at Arizona - I think Arizona made a lot of nice moves, and I don't think the 49ers did much of anything, so I think the Cardinals get it done in that fancy new stadium.

Indianapolis at New York Giants - The Manning bowl. Peyton is better, his team is better, he will win.

Minnesota at Washington - Minnesota might be the worst team in the league this season, I'll take the Redskins at home, 20-3.

San Diego at Oakland - I like San Diego, but I think they should have kept Drew Brees. Oakland will hit some big plays, but I don't see Brooks doing anything consistently. I'll take the Chargers 21-20.

UPDATE: 1-0. Only 15 more to go.

Posted by

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll take the Jets, just because two of my readers are Jets fans.

That's as valid a reason as any to pick between these two teams.

John Howard said...

That's pretty much how I figured it.

michelline said...

This is a good idea. I haven't picked games in years. Nobody runs any office pools where I am. I probably ought to start one.

Here are my picks -

Miami at Pittsburgh - I'll take Pittsburgh too. I might go with Miami if they were at home, but there you go.

Baltimore at Tampa Bay - Back when I used to do these pools in the 80's in junior high, there seemed to be so many clear-cut games. Now we get game after game like this one. Tampa should probably win, but either team could win and no one would be surprised. I'll take Tampa.

New Orleans at Cleveland - I like what New Orleans has done this offseason, but I wonder how fast they can get things rolling. I'll take Cleveland.

Atlanta at Carolina - Even if Steve Smith doesn't play, I'll take Carolina. Remeber a few years ago when Michael Vick was in the top couple of QB's picked?

Seattle at Detroit - This one does look like a no-brainer. Detroit and Phoenix are neck-and-neck for the two teams that can't ever quite get over the hump, year after year.

Philadelphia at Houston - Bill Simmons is comparing Williams over Bush to Bowie over MJ. Maybe so, but I wouldn't take Houston in this game with or without Bush. Give me Philly.

NY Jets at Tennessee - Another toss-up. Remember when Jeff Fisher was a coaching genius? I'll take the Jets.

Cincinnati at Kansas City - Here are two teams definitely going in different directions. I'll take Cincinnati.

Devner at St. Louis - I'll take St. Louis at home. I'm sure Denver's better, but I can see St. Louis sneaking up on them at home.

Buffalo at New England - There are a few no-brainers left. New England should cruise.

Dallas at Jacksonville - Unlike John, I could see Jacksonville winning this game. I don't think they will, but it wouldn't surprise me. Most of the city thinks the Jags are going to be great this year, so hopefully this will burst their bubble. The only other regular season Cowboy games I've been to were victories also, of course it was 1992 when they finished 13-3.

Chicago at Green Bay - I could see Green Bay upsetting Chicago, but I wouldn't pick it. I'll take Chicago.

San Francisco at Arizona - I know Arizona made some moves and a lot of people are picking them make some noise this year, but I'm withholding judgement until I see something. Still San Fran is probably even worse, so I'll take the Cardinals at home.

Indianapolis at NY Giants - I'll go with the Giants on this. I think the Colts are better overall but the Giants aren't bad and I think they'll win at home.

Minnesota at Washington - Washington is still overrated, but they should be better than Minnesota. I'll take the Redskins.

San Diego at Oakland - I'd like to see a score like 77-75 here,with Randy Moss and LaDanian Tomlinson trading TDs all night, giving me a great fantasy start. I don't see it though. I will take the Chargers, even without Brees they should be better than the Raiders.

Anonymous said...

Hey this is kinda of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML.
I'm starting a blog soon but have no coding skills so I wanted to get advice from someone with experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also visit my site :: Chaussures De Football Pas Cher