Thursday, March 13, 2008

Better Late than Never

For the last month or so, I've been watching Smallville, which I never got into before. Since there's almost nothing on TV these days, I thought it was a good time to try to catch up with a show that's been on for several years. I just started season 5. It's a pretty decent show, though it has some silly formulaic things and some inconsistencies that I could do without. I've watched several shows now this way, either after the entire run (Alias), or caught up in the middle (Battlestar Galactica, 24, The Wire, Rescue Me, Nip/Tuck). Aside from the obvious benefits of no commercials, and not having to wait between episodes, particularly season finales with cliffhangers, there is another cool thing I've noticed about watching shows this way. You get to see a bunch of actors in smaller roles that you wouldn't have noticed otherwise. I watched several of the shows mentioned above around the same time, and noticed several people who had small parts in more than one show I was watching at the same time (like Callie Thorne from Rescue Me, The Wire, and Prison Break or Michelle Forbes from Battlestar Galactica, 24, Prison Break, Boston Legal, and Alias), that I would never have noticed if I watched it normally. Also, you see a lot of people who go on to larger roles later, that you don't remember from the smaller parts. I notice this a lot when I watch Seinfeld reruns as well.

Anyway, on Smallville so far, I've seen many people who have gone on to do other more noticeable parts, or at least parts I'm more familiar with. I never watched The OC, but there was a guy from that on one episode. The lawn boy who sleeps with Eva Longoria from Desperate Housewives was in a couple of episodes. From Battlestar Galatica, I've seen Chief Tyrol, Dualla, and Helo. DL from Heroes was in the episode I watched last night. Boone (AKA God's frickin' gift to humanity) from Lost was in a few episodes, and Kate had the tiniest (I had to rewind it to be sure it was her) little non-speaking part in one scene. Also, in the other direction, actors in the show who were previously in more noticeable roles, I've seen two of the three kids from Home Improvement, Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder (though it's obvious why they'd cast them in this show), and of course, Bo Duke as Jonathan Kent.

Posted by

7 comments:

Toast said...

Chief was in Smallville? Damn, how'd I miss that?

John Howard said...

Probably you saw it before he was Chief, I imagine. Anyway, he played a deputy that they were trying to make you think kidnapped Chloe, but it turns out to be his partner. It was the one where Lana was in an explosion and has flashes where she sees through the deputy's eyes.

But if you missed it, don't worry, it looks like he's going to be in another episode next week. I'm sure you'll recognize him this time.

Anonymous said...

Thorne and Forbes were also both on "Homicide"—arguably the besy cop show ever.

Created by the same guys as "The Wire"...

Anonymous said...

BEST, not besy

John Howard said...

I've heard good things about Homicide, but I've never even watched a single episode. The Wire, though, is one of the best shows on TV, or was anyway.

fridge said...

I loved Homicide. Great show.

I'm halfway thru Season 1 of the Wire. It's very good, but I get the feeling that they're still setting up all the stories and it's just about to kick in to gear.

Unknown said...

louboutin shoes, nike roshe run, louis vuitton outlet, nike outlet, longchamp pas cher, oakley sunglasses, ralph lauren pas cher, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, nike free, prada outlet, christian louboutin outlet, cheap oakley sunglasses, longchamp, longchamp outlet, tory burch outlet, louis vuitton, kate spade outlet, louboutin, ray ban sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet, gucci outlet, burberry, louboutin outlet, replica watches, louis vuitton, louboutin pas cher, air max, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, air jordan pas cher, nike air max, polo ralph lauren outlet, uggs on sale, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, ugg boots, michael kors, replica watches, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, longchamp outlet, sac longchamp, nike free, jordan shoes