Monday, June 05, 2006

Senate Tackles Gay Marriage Ban

Well, I'm no fan of an amendment to bad gay marraige, but I am glad to hear that Congress has apparently addressed every issue that's important to such an extent that they're now free to move on to things that aren't really even any of their fucking business. Surely they wouldn't waste time on something like this if we still had actual problems they could fix, right? Also nice to know that our President has nothing better to do either and can take time out of his busy schedule to address this as well.

An amendment to the Constitution is necessary because activist courts have left our nation with no other choice," Mr. Bush said

Let me translate that for you:

I know in the immigration debate, it didn't seem like I hated Mexicans nearly as much as I should have, but a lot of my rich buddies need those cheap workers, so I didn't want to piss them off. So, let's try and put that behind us now and focus on something we can all agree on: hating the gays. The only people who are going to have a problem with that are those angry liberals, and we all know they're helping the terrorists anyway, so who cares what they think.

That's how I took it anyway. Not that I think the people supposedly on my side of this debate are much better. Here's what Joe Biden had to say.
The world's going to Hades in a hand basket. We're going to debate the next three weeks, I'm told, gay marriage, a flag amendment and God only knows what else. I can't believe the American people can't see through this
and this
We already have a law, the Defense of Marriage Act. ... Nobody has violated that law. There's been no challenge to that law. Why do we need a constitutional amendment?

And I agree with all of that. But on this issue, I'm tired of people who are supposedly on the right side of it saying only that we shouldn't be wasting time on this because there are more important things to worry about, or that it's unecessary. Because what they should be saying is that we shouldn't be wasting time on this because it's wrong. It's also disgusting. It's also un-American. This isn't what our Constitution is for. Biden sites the Defense of Marraige Act to show that we don't need an amendment, but forgets to point out that the Defense of Marraige Act is just as disgusting.

It is nice to see at least one member of Congress who gets closer to the real heart of the issue.
A vote for this amendment is a vote for bigotry pure and simple
Unfortunately, that comes from Ted Kennedy whose voice is easily dismissed as extremist.

Whenever this kind of nonesense is discussed, it gets me so angry, because I can't believe that people still think it's ok to act like bigots. However, my anger is always tempered somewhat because I know in my heart that 20 or 30 years from now, people will look back on these homophobic bigots and see them for exactly what they are. I just which it would happen faster, because it's so painfully obvious to anyone who actually cares about people what the right side of this issue is.

Posted by

No comments: