Monday, November 20, 2006

Baby boomers aren't happy with what's on television

So what? First of all, there are a lot of people in the world, who aren't baby boomers, I'm not sure where this notion that everything had to cater to them comes from, but it's pretty ridiculous. And secondly, if they can't find anything good on TV these days, then they're just not looking very hard. There are a lot of good shows on now, more than I can ever remember in the past. And I'm getting tired of this concept that people have to be able to relate to a show to enjoy it. I've heard that a lot in criticism of Studio 60 in particular, that it's too insidery, and people can't relate to it. So what? My top 5 favorite shows are:

Lost
Battlestar Galactica
The Wire
Rescue Me
Heroes

I've never been in a plane crash, been stranded on an island with a mysterious smoke monster and a bunch of crazy people. I've never been in space, or on the run from a race of cybernetic robots. I've never been to Baltimore, never been a cop or a drug dealer, or a drug addict. I've never been to New York, never been a firefighter. And I certainly don't have any superpowers. But somehow, I still manage to enjoy all those shows (along with many others). Anyway, there is plenty on TV that anyone can relate to, and if you can't find something you like, you're just not trying hard enough.

And, as I'm sure Toast will point out, there is still plenty on TV that does cater to baby boomers.

Posted by

1 comment:

DED said...

I thought TV was supposed to be escapist entertainment anyway.

I agree with your first 3 shows. Haven't seen the other two.