Monday, November 08, 2004

Prescription strength without a prescription

I'm getting tired of seeing this claim on drug commercials. Isn't the only real definition of "prescription strength, " the strength at which a prescription is required to get it? And since that is the case, then this claim is just a lie. I know, I know, it's probably something that used to require a prescription, and for whatever reason no longer does. But still, it sounds pretty misleading and ridiculous to me.

As a matter of fact, I'm pretty much sick of all drug commercials in general, especially the ones for prescription drugs. "Ask your doctor about..." I go to a doctor so he can tell me what I need, not the other way around. Besides, half of these commercials barely even mention what the drug is supposed to treat, so I would look pretty stupid asking my doctor about some of them if they don't even apply to my symptoms.

Doc: Looks like you've got a bit of indigestion.
Me: Yeah, just hook me up with some of that Ortho-Evra.
Doc: Uh, well...
Me: Yeah, I know about the side affects, they listed them on the commercial, no problem.
Doc: It's not really something I would prescribe for your condition.
Me: Oh, I see you have some deal with a competing drug company, but luckily they have all these great ads now, so I don't have to rely on your biased advice.
Doc: Lucky you.
Me: Yeah, your days of kickbacks are over.
Doc: Boy, you really have me all figured out.
Me: Yeah, so anyway, how long will it take to know if this stuff is working?
Doc: Well, it's working fine as long as you don't get pregnant.
Me: Huh?
Doc: Maybe I could explain to you exactly what Ortho Evra is.
Me: Oh, is that not the right one? Well, just give me a little Claritin, then.
Doc: I quit.

See, I really don't want to go through that, it would make me look pretty stupid, then I'd have to find a new doctor. Not worth the hassle. Maybe I'll just let him decide how I should be treated, and if I'm not comfortable with it, or I don't agree, then I'll go get a second opinion from another doctor. Stupid commercials.

Posted by

No comments: