Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Art

I can appreciate art, even art that I personally don't get. But I also recognize that a lot of supposed art is just bullshit that someone has managed to sell to some suckers, and if anyone questions it, it's very convenient to explain that they just don't understand it.

This guy's pictures seem to fall into the bullshit category for me. Aside from the insensitive nature of his claimed inspiration, I'm also skeptical of the term "performance photographer" sounds kind of like that IM expert from the other day. That is to say, made up. Anyway, not only is he not capturing anywhere near the experience of leaping 100 or so stories to your certain death because your other certain death staying put is unbearable by jumping four stories with a nice safe harness on, but also he says incredibly stupid things like this:

"Falling is such a metaphor for life in general. Mentally, physically and emotionally, from day to day, we fall. Even walking is falling: You take a step, fall and catch yourself,'' said Skarbakka
emphasis mine

Yeah, walking is falling, that makes a lot of sense. If he wants to be taken seriously, he should probably stop trying to explain his work at all, if that's the best he can come up with. It also seems a little suspect to me that September 11th was his inspiration. Otherwise, I don't think I would have ever heard of the silly artist who likes to take pictures of himself falling, but tie it to September 11th, and suddenly people will hear about it.

Posted by

No comments: