Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Orson Scott Card is a dick

This is pretty depressing to me. Orson Scott Card is one of my favorite authors. My brother sent me (thanks a lot) some quotes from his wikipedia entry that bothered me, as well as some stuff from his political site that was just stupid and homophobic.

Part of the wikipedia Overview bothered me right off the bat:

Card is also active as a critic, political writer and speaker. Shortly after the September 11, 2001 attacks Card began to write a weekly "War Watch" (later renamed "World Watch") column for the Greensboro Rhino Times as well as "Uncle Orson Reviews everything" which are both archived on Card's website. Although a self-described Democrat, Card is a vocal supporter of George W. Bush, the war on terror, the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, and U.S. support of Israel, while being publically opposed to Gay marriage and the Kyoto Treaty.

Supporting Bush is bad enough for people who pretend they're real Republicans, but for someone to say they're a Democrat, but support George W. Bush, just shows me that they don't know what the fuck they're talking about. This is pretty interesting, because through his books, I would have imagined a completely different person. His books really seem like something that would be written by someone who is intelligent and open-minded, but from what I've just read about him, I don't think either is actually the case.

This from his political site (hold your nose while reading this load of crap):
The dark secret of homosexual society -- the one that dares not speak its name -- is how many homosexuals first entered into that world through a disturbing seduction or rape or molestation or abuse, and how many of them yearn to get out of the homosexual community and live normally.

What the fuck? People really think this way (intelligent people, I mean)?

Ok, so now I'm pretty upset, because, like I said, this guy is one of my favorite authors. I recommend his books all the time, Ender's Game is one of my favorite books ever. I'm not normally one to get too concerned about finding out the politics behind things I use, but when it turns out that someone is as much a fucknut as this guy, I honestly don't know if I could enjoy reading anything by him again. Anyone else read any of his books? Have any thoughts on this?

Oh, and if anyone finds out that Peter Hamilton is some sort of gay basher or religous extremists or just otherwise a lunatic, I'd just rather not hear about it, thanks.

Posted by

No comments: