Monday, June 20, 2005

I'm so sorry

It seems like apologies are in the news a lot lately, with everyone on the right demanding that Dick Durbin apologize for his comments (even though he shouldn't since he didn't say anything wrong) and the Senate passing resolutions to apologize to the descendants of lynching victims (which is silly and means absolutely nothing) and some on the left calling for apologies from the Senators who failed to co-sponsor that same resolution (which is beyond ridiculous). I guess it's just me, but I'm not a big fan of empty apologies. I guess a lot of people are, though. Now, if someone makes a mistake, realizes it, then apologizes sincerely, then that's a good thing, I think. But apologies given only after being pressured, or apologies given by people who had nothing to do with the original thing being apologized for and/or to people who had nothing to do with it either. Those I could do without. I don't need any apologies from Senators who don't want to apologize, I don't need any apologies from the Runaway Bride, I don't need apologies from Barry Bonds, or Mark McGwire, and most of all I don't need an apology from George Bush. All I want to do is move on and hope that in the future we don't have so many fucking things to apologize for, if only so we could stop talking about fucking apologies, already.


I'm sorry if my language offended anyone.

Posted by

No comments: