Wednesday, November 23, 2005

No 'holiday' tree for this grower

I'm all for pissing off religous fundamentalists and Bill O'Reilly, but I don't see any reason to rename a Christmas tree a Holiday Tree. A Christmas tree is a symbol of Christmas, not any other holidays, so to rename it just in some pointelss gesture of political correctness is silly. I don't know how anyone would be offended by a Christmas tree. I'm not the slightest bit religous, and it doesn't bother me, we have one every year. The tree is about the decorations, and the presents, and seems to me to be about the most secular symbol of the holiday after Santa Claus. I can understand why people may say "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" in order to avoid offending someone (although, I think if you're offended by someone wishing you a Merry Christmas, than you're probably just looking for things to be offended by), but calling a Christmas tree a holiday tree is just silly. Everyone knows it's for Christmas, and I'm not sure why anyone would be offended by that.

Posted by

6 comments:

not in use said...

The less mention of Christmas the better as far as I am concerned. It is all a stolen pagan festival anyway .. and the christmas tree thing has barely been around for long enough to call a tradition (it was a victorian invention).

"Happy Solstice" is my greeting and bugger christian sensibilities and fraudulent claims of ownership :)

sumo said...

Bet you don't like Happy X-mas either!

SB Gypsy said...

Well, the christians stole it from the pagans, so, Happy Solstice tree! and Happy Thanksgiving too!

Anonymous said...

I'm certainly not religious (Atheist), but I love Christmas. It's a great time of year. I even have angels and a manger scene. Go figure. But hey - it's pretty! I'll even sing religious Christmas Carols - because they're the pretty ones.

Anonymous said...

I don't say "Happy Holidays" to avoid offending people. I say it because there are multiple holidays that occur right around the same time. It's a practical thing.

John Howard said...

Right, toast, and I can understand why people say that, I can't understand why people would be offended by being told Merry Christmas. And I don't see why a Christmas tree would need to be renamed since it doesn't apply to any other holidays.