Monday, March 06, 2006

What the Fuck is wrong with people?

My wife and I went to the Home and Patio show yesterday. We had our son along, and he was actually pretty good, despite having to ride in his stroller the whole time, which he's not usually very happy about. Anyway, as my wife was talking to a guy in one booth about lawn care, the pest control guy in the next booth sees my son in his stroller and gives him a keychain, which was nice. He then tells my son something about how every man should have a keychain in his pocket. A little odd, I thought, but whatever. But then, using that as some bizarre segue relating to perceived manly behaviors (I guess?) he starts into a little anecdote, which I'm still not too clear on because I really couldn't believe that he was saying what I thought he was saying. Anyway, he says something about going into neighborhoods to get kids to go to Sunday school, and how he saw a young boy walking, and I forget how he put it, but the point was the kid wasn't walking like a man. So, he apparently told this kid something to the effect that woman walk with movement in their hips and wrists, but men walk with movement from their shoulders and arms (?), and that this kid needed to walk differently, so people "wouldn't get the wrong idea." He then smashed a beer can on his forehead and pounded on his chest.*

I really didn't know what to say, I really thought I must have missed some part of what he said that would make it seem less insane, so I just walked on to the next booth, while my wife confirmed that what I heard was accurate. I can't believe that people think like this, or even worse that they think like this and aren't smart enough to just keep it to themselves, and especially to just come out with nonesense like that to a complete stranger that you're trying to sell something to. We could use pest control too, and my wife was going to ask him about it, until he told his little anecdote. I wish the story had ended with the kid telling him that it wouldn't be the wrong idea, or just telling him to fuck off and mind his own business. But even if it had, I'm sure he would have left that part out.

If we can't get to the point in my lifetime where everyone is tolerant and understanding of people who are not like them (and I really think we can, or at least pretty close), I'd at least settle for getting close enough where people like this feel too ashamed of their idiotic beliefs to feel comfortable expressing them openly to strangers.



* Ok, I made that last part up, but looking back, it wouldn't have surprised me.

Posted by

No comments: