Friday, January 21, 2005

Iraq Elections

As the people in Iraq continue to prepare for the elections at the end of the month by watching shit get blown up everyday, and seeing people involved get assassinated, it really makes me wonder. Despite what a mess things are over there, these elections are supposed to be where we can really point out some little shred of something good that has come from this ridiculous war. But seeing all the reports of people afraid to vote, selling ballots, leaving the country, and just everything that can possibly go wrong going wrong, just makes me wonder if these elections really mean anything at all. Does anyone think we will honestly know the will of the Iraqi people afterwards? How can they really make an informed decision on who to vote for with everything else that's going on, anyway, assuming, they care enough, and are not too afraid, to actually vote? I just really don't see much good coming out of Iraq, now or in the future either, unless something changes dramatically. The only thing that seems certain about the elections to me is that a lot of people will get killed. I've been opposed to the war from the start, but I never really imagined it would go this badly. I can understand that for some people, the end justifies the means, but at this point, I can't really see any end in sight, or anything to make me think that the end will be any better than the beginning.

I hope I'm wrong, and that's what I think the wingnuts don't understand is that a lot of the anti-war people can see what a mess things are, and point out all the bad things that are happenning and could happen in the future, but we hope that we're wrong. The administration, on the other hand, just wants to be right, it doesn't matter who it's bad for, they just want to be right. When did admitting mistakes become the ultimate sign of weakness?

Posted by

No comments: