Thursday, January 27, 2005

Social Security

Like many people (I think), I had always believed that there were big problems with out Social Security System. It seemed everyone who ever talked about it on TV or on the radio assumed there were big problems, I think there was an episode of the West Wing about it. It never made a lot of sense to me, because I always heard that the money I was putting in today was going to pay benefits to people who are collecting today, instead of being saved for me when I am old enough to collect, so that by the time I was a senior citizen, the whole system would be bankrupt. That seemed like a problem to me, but I didn't understand why when I was ready to collect, they wouldn't just be taking the money put in by workers then and giving it to me. So I never got why anyone would say the system could ever be bankrupt. As long as people are still paying in, I didn't see how that could ever be an issue. I realized there could be problems if more people were getting benefits and less people were contributing, but I didn't see the crisis people seemed to always assume was coming. However, I really didn't know much about it, and I figured people that understand this better than I do could explain it. Anyway, with Bush's ridiculous plan being talked about so much, I've learned a lot more about Social Security and realized that there isn't a crisis after all.

However, what I don't understand now, is why anyone thinks Bush's plan makes any sense. Even if there was a crisis, from everything I've read about this plan, it won't fix it, and will more than likely make it worse. I know that this administration just likes to be determined (stubborn) and decisive (rush to decisions regardless of facts), and it is pretty much their stance that if anything has a problem, then anything they do to respond to that problem is automatically justified. They don't seem to grasp the concept of making things worse. What I don't get is why so many people blindly follow this idiot and his ridiculous plans. Is it really so hard to see that he has made just about every single thing that he has any control over worse? Iraq, the economy, education, unemployment...nothing this guy touches gets better. Social Security is just another in a long line of things he is trying to fuck up, let's just hope that enough people wake up before he is able to shove this down our throats like he does with all his other dimwitted policies.

Posted by

No comments: