Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Rendition not foolproof

So if we're not sending people off to be tortured how is rendition a vital tool in the war on terror? Is it just that these other countries don't have bothersome things like the Supreme Court or the constitution holding them back? If these people being rendered are legitimate suspects in any kind of criminal/terrorist activity, they should be handled through proper procedures, not secretly flown off to Jordan. I don't understand how this administration can defend practices like rendition, secret prisons and indefinite detention, and then talk about exporting freedom at the same time.

By the way, I'm Chris, John's brother. He mentioned me in a post a couple of weeks ago. He took the words right out of my mouth about me being the smart one, but he forgot to mention I'm also the good-looking brother, ahem. And now Sumo and I can have rousing discussions on this blog about Harry Potter, at least until John revokes my posting privileges.

Posted by

9 comments:

Fixer said...

Sumo? That's what you call him? Please 'splain.

michelline said...

Sorry, I was referring to this sumo, who is a frequent commenter here. She rags John about his Harry Potter aversion.

Fixer said...

Ah, thought it was a 'Little Known Fact' about John.

michelline said...

I know plenty of 'Little Known Facts' about John, but then, he knows plenty about me too, so I suppose I'll have to keep them to myself.

John Howard said...

Good post, rendition is ridiculous. If there is nothing to hide, then do things openly. Assholes.

And you'll get no more compliments from me if that's how you respond to them.

And you can post Harry Potter crap here if you want to, then at least the weirdos can be represented, but I'll have to delete them if it gets out of control.

michelline said...

And you'll get no more compliments from me if that's how you respond to them.

Couldn't you hear the sarcasm in my voice? That's the trouble with these internets.

sumo said...

Weirdos John? Etu? You know you'd love to have her money...you little monkey you! Seriously...do not deprive your little boy of these stories...I know this will give you a heart attack...but, I think HP is better than the Narnia stories. I shall be banished to the nearest dense and scary forest for this I know.

John Howard said...

Harry Potter is nowhere near as good as Narnia. And I'd like to have anyone's money, hell I'd write romance novels if I could make a pile of money on them, I'm just saying you Pottermaniacs are freaks. And my son can read whatever he wants, there are plenty of people that will influence his decisions on what to read that don't share my low opinion of Harry Potter, including his crazy aunt and uncle, and his brother and sister, though I think his other brother is on my side.

Anonymous said...

"his crazy aunt and uncle" - Hey! I resemble that remark. Don't worry about your son. We'll make sure he's a well rounded individual with a firm grounding in the arts and literature. Including Harry Potter and all of the other classics. In spite of his uncouth father and his lack of appreciation for the finer things in life...