Tuesday, February 15, 2005

More Torture News

It seems like it wasn't that long ago that we didn't have to hear stories about torture all the time. Now, they're all over the place. The surprising thing, though, it that our government always seems to be on the wrong side of the issue. Now they are fighting against Gulf War POWs collecting damages related to their torture in the 1991 Gulf War. Why on Earth would we do that? What happened to supporting the troops? Apparently Iraq needs that money to rebuild. While I'm sure that that's true, how is that the fault of these soldiers? We pass laws supposedly in order to hold these governments accountable, but when one actually gets held accountable our government has a problem with it. So which side of The War on Terror are we on again?

I wonder if I can tell my mortgage company that I need my mortgage payment for other more pressing things. I'm not sure if they would buy that. Apparently this administration thinks that laws do not apply whenever it is inconvenient to their goals, and unfortunately, I'm not sure that they are wrong about that.

Posted by

No comments: