Thursday, February 17, 2005

Name Recognition

We had a local election here this week for City Council and Supervisor of Elections (I wonder who supervised this election), and I really don't know much about any of the candidates, so I didn't vote, but I did notice that one of the City Council candidates who made it to a runoff is a guy named Clark whose campaign signs pretty much look like a Clark Bar wrapper. Now this is a pretty good idea, I guess, but I hate to think that someone who will be making important decisions in our city is only there because the voters wanted a snack.

This reminds me of one of the things that I think was a factor in the Presidential election: Bush's bumper stickers were much cooler than Kerry's. I doubt it had a big effect, but I think it made a difference. If I had to decide based purely on the bumper stickers, I definitely would have voted Bush. I can't remember any other election where I saw so many people with the stickers still on their cars this long after the election was over. Someone tell Howard Dean, next time we need better bumper stickers.

Posted by

No comments: