Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Gay parents must pay child support

This is good news. Anything that makes sure same sex couple are treated the same as other couples is fine by me. When you make the commitment to have a child, it should be a lifetime commitment, whether you are adopting, or having the child yourself. And that should apply to straight people and gay people.

However, I can't help thinking that while I think this is a good thing overall, I do find it a little bit troubling when same sex couples are given the same responsibilities as other couples when they don't share all the same rights as other couples. Anyway, hopefully it is a step in the right direction.

Posted by

1 comment:

PridePress said...

I said exactly the same thing over on Love is Love is Love.com.

I am definitely in favor of protecting those children. I agree it is a step in the right direction, yet I am definitely annoyed that we are offered a benefit of marriage without any of the rights!

It seems very "back-door" to me. I don't know, I feel used and dirty even though it should be a momemt of progress. It sets an important legal standard, but I still can't protect my relationship or my kids.

I don't know? It's good, but it feels bad.