Saturday, May 28, 2005

Canada suicide hotline to open only from 9 to 5 - Yahoo! News

I don't think I have any readers in Canada, but if you are and you are on Prince Edward Island and comtemplating suicide, try to do it during business hours. I don't know about anyone else, but a suicide hotline that isn't availabe 24 hours a day seems pretty useless to me.

I also like this part of the article:

The hotline received about 1,400 calls a year and about 50 were from people contemplating suicide, health groups said.

"One of the things I was hearing is the government felt there weren't enough suicide-related calls," Wright said.


Uh, yeah I guess not. What I found strange is that 1350 people apparently called for some other reason. What the else else do you call a suicide hotline for? I would imagine they get a few crank calls, but what about the rest? Do people just call it for someone to talk to? I don't even like talking on the phone to people I know, I certainly don'twant to talk to some stranger who is probably going to be mad at me because I don't want to kill myself.

Posted by

No comments: