Thursday, May 26, 2005

Probe of Stealth TV Ads Sought

Oh, who the fuck cares? Why do I give a shit about product placement in TV shows? If it gets to the point where it detracts from the show itself, then people will stop watching, which will destroy the market for it. So it's pretty self-policing. Also, why on Earth do I want to watch someone on TV drinking a can labeled "SODA" when in real life they would more likely be drinking Coke or Pepsi? It lends realism to the show, and if advertisers benefit, why the fuck should I care?

"It's OK if the broadcasters do this, but they need to inform the public that it's being done."
Not really. I don't care if they inform me or not. Actually I'd rather not think about it. But seriously, do we need some official disclosure to be informed that it's being done? Does anyone who watched the last couple of Survivor seasons not think that Pringles paid them a whole fuckwad of money?
These days advertisers pay as much as $2 million an episode to get their products featured on NBC's "The Apprentice."
Uh, yeah, and I'm pretty sure that everyone on the planet knows that Staples didn't get involved in that show so that those geniuses could design them a great new product.

I remember a time not too long ago when I rarely heard anything from the FCC, I think we need to get back to that.

Posted by

No comments: