Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Senate Issues Apology Over Failure on Lynching Law

I've seen a lot written about this today. Particularly about why there weren't 100 co-sponsors of the resolution. And I really don't understand why there wouldn't be. However, I also have a hard time getting very upset about it. Does anyone truly believe that the 20 senators that didn't sign on are actually pro-lynching? I don't think so.

Also, why on Earth do they have this resolution in the first place? It seems like an enormous waste of time to me. I guess I'm not a big fan of meaningless apologies. Don't get me wrong, if this truly makes someone feel better, then I think that's great, but I just have a hard time understanding why it would. I can understand how an apology from the Senators who actually opposed the antilynching legistlation when it came up might mean something. But I don't see how an apology from a bunch of different people who just happen to share the same job really means anything. And if it does mean something, why wouldn't it mean just as much coming from 80 people as it does coming from 100? They are apologizing on behalf of the entire Senate, I would imagine.

Anyway, again, I don't see any reason why someone wouldn't sign on to this, but I don't see any reason to get upset that they didn't, either. I think there are more important things for the Senate to be concerned with.

Posted by

No comments: