Friday, July 22, 2005

Friday Night Lights

I watched this movie last night. Don't read any farther if you haven't seen it and don't want to know what happens at the end.

Anyway, I'm usually much happier when a movie ends and it's not the predictable feel good ending. For example, I was really bothered by the stupid ending they put in Hannibal, especially considering the ending in the book was so much better and unexpected. But I have to say, watching that movie last night, I really wish he would have scored that last touchdown. I know it's a cliche in a sports movie to hit the walk off home run or score the winning touchdown as time expires, or hit the buzzer beater, and I know movies have tried to get away from that. The bunt at the end of Major League did a pretty good job of that. But the way this movie ended left me less satisfied than if it had had a cliche ending. Especially since the losing team had been screwed badly by a terrible call that led to a touchdown by the other team earlier. That was another thing that bothered me, they made the black ref make a horrible, horrible call in favor of the team from the mostly black area which basically won the game for them. Other than that it was a pretty good movie, I thought.

Posted by

3 comments:

MDC said...

Read the book and you will be even more depressed. It takes you even deeper into the shitty situations (particularly the racism and the "relaxed" academic standards enjoyed by the players) those kids actually lived through. H.G. Bissinger would have been shot on site in Odessa had he returned to that town in the years after it was published, and that statement is not that big of an exaggeration. Also of note, that team that beat the Odessa team at the end of the movie ended up having to forfeit their season because several ineligible players' grades were changed illegally to make them eligible.

Anonymous said...

I knew it was based on a book, but I didn't realize it was based on any real school or anything. That might be interesting to read.

Scott G said...

I liked the book alot. It was one I read while in the Army. I actually got it because Hayden Frye talked about it because he is mentioned in the book.

The movie was alright. I liked it, but I knew the story. I basicly went to it to see if they changed the ending. Same thing with Cold Mountain