Thursday, July 21, 2005

'The Triplets' Going in Ring of Honor

I always hated that stupid nickname. It doesn't make any sense. But anyway, I'm glad to see these guys going into the Ring of Honor, and even happier to see them go in together. And in a couple of years when they start going into the Hall of Fame, I'll actually finally care about watching those ceremonies for once. Having discovered sports bars right around 1990, and after that Sunday Ticket on Directv, I watched nearly every game that these guys played together, and when they were on top, there was nobody better. The Patriots may have equaled the three SuperBowls in four seasons that Dallas accomplished in the 90s, but if you put these Patriots up against those Cowboys, the Patriots would suddenly seem a lot less dominating. The Cowboys were good on offense and defense, and they could beat you on the ground or through the air, they could beat you over the middle, or throw it down the field. Those teams were complete, and they were led by these three guys, so I'm happy to see them all go into the Ring of Honor together.

Posted by

5 comments:

Ol Cranky said...

geea, I'm such a girl! I saw "triplets" and "horror" and thought you were referring to the triad I like to call the BushCo Trilogy of Treason (Cheney, Libby & Rove)

The Disgruntled Chemist said...

I hate those guys. Really, I do.

But that's just 'cause I'm a Bills fan, and the image of Ken Norton Jr. wrapped around Jim Kelly's waist is indelibly seared onto the backs of my eyelids.

I still laugh when I think about Leon Lett almost scoring that touchdown, though. Oh, Leon, you were way too fat to be showboating like that!

Anonymous said...

Bills? Ha!

I have so many images indelibly seared into my eyelids from Cowboys/Bills matchups, but that's much better for me, I guess. The one that haunts me the way those probably haunt you is The Catch from the 1982 NFC Championship.

Yeah, that's funny how they would have had 59 points (would have been the most ever scored in a SuperBowl) and a 42 point margin of victory, but had to settle for a measly 52 points and a 35 point margin of victory. But I guess you have to hang onto something.

The Disgruntled Chemist said...

It's either laugh or cry, John. Plus, I'm pretty sure there's some message in there about sportsmanship and never giving up. I guess.

If I were Don Beebe, I don't know if I'd have sprinted 60 yards just to knock the ball out of his hands. But it was pretty impressive.

Scott G said...

I agree. I grew up a Cowboys fan because my Grandpa loved Landry. I didn't really start regularly watching them until the 90's though and I tried for every rookie card of theirs I could get. It probably wasn't a good idea to trade my Ripken rookie for some of them, but I have a bunch of Smith rookie cards now