Friday, July 08, 2005

Friday Night Name that Movie

Inspired by (or shamelessly stolen from) Shakespeare's Sister, because I always get to hers after other people have already gotten the ones I know, I decided to do my own, so guess the movies and maybe you'll win a prize.*

1. Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.

2. You are all expurgated. You are dismissed! You are out of here, forever. I wish you well

3. Two brothers... One speaks no English, the other learned English from watch "The Wide World of Sports." So you tell me... Which is better, speaking no English at all, or speaking Howard Cosell?

4. What was he wearing? Well, uh, let's see, he was wearing a red argyle sweater, and tan trousers, and red shoes... No, he's not retarded.

5. I helped it. Didn't I help it? I just took it back, is all. Awful tired now, boss. Dog tired.

6. You're 5 foot nothin', 100 and nothin', and you don't have a speck of athletic ability

7. You may run like Hayes. but you hit like shit.

8. No, no, he didn't slam you, he didn't bump you, he didn't nudge you... he *rubbed* you. And rubbin, son, is racin'

9. Oh, it was a most amazing game. The Giants of New York took on the Packers of Green Bay. The Giants triumphed by kicking a pigskin ball through a big "H". A most ripping victory.

10. He was wearing my Harvard tie. Can you believe it? My Harvard tie. Like oh, sure he went to Harvard.



* There is no prize.

Posted by

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

All correct.

sumo said...

JRH...I'm not good at the above but I do find these things interesting...and also not related to your post...I have a favor...you said you come to read but don't comment much (I know I'm not Shakes Sis)...I would appreciate your opinion this time sir on my latest post that is relevant to the Rude Pundit's post of the 8th. I only stumbled across it this evening and found this implication on one other blog.

Anonymous said...

I'll check it out. I love The Rude Pundit, but I haven't read him much lately.

Melissa McEwan said...

Okay, well, I recognized 1, 3, and 7, which have already been guessed...

I think #4 is Sixteen Candles, #5 is The Green Mile, #6 is Rudy (I love Sean Astin!), and #10 is definitely Trading Places, which is one of Mr. Shakes' favorite movies.

#2 and #9 I don't recognize... Damn!

Melissa McEwan said...

Okay, I just looked up the two I didn't know, and now I'm really annoyed, because I've seen both those films! LOL.

(I'm glad you did this, too - it was fun to guess for a change.)

The Disgruntled Chemist said...

Is #9 Coming to America? I got all the others, but like Shakes' Sis, I can't get #2.

The Disgruntled Chemist said...

And by the way, you and I have extremely similar tastes in movies, John. Good work on that.

sumo said...

John...thanks for making it my way...I left something out though. If you get another chance...I added something to it in the comments. I know...women!

Anonymous said...

All yours are correct, Shakes, and Chemist you got 9, 2 isn't the most memorable quote from that movie, but most of my favorite onesfrom that really give it away.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, came in late on this one, so all the good ones are taken ... but I'm pretty sure that #2 is from Lean on Me.

Anonymous said...

You got it, pasquinn. Thanks for playing, everyone.