Friday, July 15, 2005

Schwarzenegger making millions as muscle mag editor

So what? I can see how people may complain that there is a potential conflict of interest if he is taking money from advertisers and also has power to influence policy which will relate to those advertisers, but if he can honestly claim that there is no conflict, and is prepared to handle the political fallout from it, I don't have any problem with him making an outside income. Apparently, it's not against the law. Anyway, does anyone really think that he actually works for the magazines? I'm sure at some point they threw money at him in order to use his name, and if he can make that kind of money for doing nothing than I'm all for it. And if people don't like it, maybe they should have thought about it before they went to all the trouble to recall their Governor. Not that I'm a big fan of Arnold, but I'd trade Governors with California in a second.

Posted by

3 comments:

The Disgruntled Chemist said...

Well, I think people are upset because Arnold pledged (and helped pass legislation) to limit state regulation of dietary supplements.

Supplement makers are these magazines' main advertisers, and Arnold's compensation is figured as a percentage of the ad revenue of the magazines. So there is some direct correlation between his outside income and the laws he supported.

Maybe it's not a big deal - I haven't paid much attention. But that seems to me to be the main thrust of the argument - that his actions as governor were influenced by how much money they would make him.

Still, I'd rather have Arnold than Jeb.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I definitely agree that there is at least the appearance of a conflict there, Chemist. I'm just saying it's not as big a deal as it's being made out to be.

sumo said...

Okay...you try having this guy as your "governator". I understand about Jeb... and I sympathize...really. But Awnuld has been a real drag here for many reasons. I was not part of the recall...I voted against it. Therefore I can crititcize all I want to...he sucks.