Monday, July 25, 2005

Woman Uses Jessica Simpson's Name in Scam

Theft by deception? What the fuck kind of a crime is that? Now, I have no sympathy for this woman, who brought this all on herself, but I really get tired of seeing time wasted on criminals that just take advantage of people's stupidity. Why would anyone just believe this woman in the first place?

Reminds me of a show I saw not too long ago, where a woman posed as a "bank inspector" then asked people to go into the bank and withdraw money to give to her, but no to tell anyone inside the bank. Then assured them that it would be returned to them, and even gave a receipt. And people actually gave her money. It was ridiculous. In my mind, that woman deserved the money a lot more than the idiots who gave it to her.

Posted by

7 comments:

Fixer said...

In my mind, that woman deserved the money a lot more than the idiots who gave it to her.

Amen. I have zero tolerance for stupid. Same with the people who fall for those African email schemes. If you're willing to put your life savings on the line for someone you met via email, you deserve to be penniless.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's my thoughts exactly fixer.

MDC said...

Where is the line drawn for "deception"? If I made up a fake celebrity name and story, tried and then succeeded at this same "crime", would I be guilty? Or what if I just used my own name?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, good points MDC. I assume you could be charged as long as what you're saying isn't true, but people should have some responsibility not to act like idiots.

Anonymous said...

Honestly, only rich celebrities should get free stuff! Stop trying to keep the rich down. They'd end up on the streets if they were denied free tanning lotion and makeup. My God, have you seen any of these people without fake tans and makeup? How could they make a living without them? It would just add to the welfare rolls, don't you know.

Fixer said...

My boss gives me free tanning. He makes me work out in the lot instead of the shop.

Anonymous said...

On a related note, I am a major guru of the blogosphere, and I will be happy to endorse any product in exchange for cash.