Tuesday, July 19, 2005

I agree with Sean Hannity

Ok, so I listened to the end of his show on the way home yesterday, and apparently he had fixed up some relative of his with someone who works with him or for him or something, and apparently he had talked about it quite a bit on the show. Well, quite a few of his insane listeners called in to take issue with this whole concept of 'dating'. Apparently, all it does is prepare you for divorce, and the most you should be doing before marraige is meeting at some sort of chaperoned group activity, if you actually have to meet the other person at all. And definitely no one on one stituations, because obvioulsy that could be tempting. So, I guess the insane extremist religous right is so sexually repressed that they wouldn't even trust themselves to be alone with someone of the opposite sex. I guess they're afraid they may end up raping each other or something. You know how daing can be, one minute you're having a nice dinner and the next minute you're forcing yourselves on each other because those urges are just too hard to control. No wonder these people are afraid of gay people, if they're that repressed, they're probably afraid they'll have sex with anyone if the oppurtunity arises, and if someone of the same sex makes a pass at them, they just won't be able to resist. It always amazes me that these extremists seem to think anyone lacks any self control whatsoever, but I guess they just think everyone is like them.

Anyway, Hannity didn't exactly call these people the idiots that they are (after all, they probably represent a significant portion of his listeners), but he did make it pretty clear that he thought dating was pretty much the only way to decide if you are compatible with someone, so for once, I agree with him. You would think that moments like that would make him re-evaluate the people that were following him, and maybe reconsider his extremist positons. Anyway, it makes me a little afraid to think that there are people out there who actually make an extremist wingnut like Sean Hannity appear reasonable.

Posted by

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can find many links to this belief on conservative Christian websites. They call it "courting," and make a big deal about the young man getting vetted by the young girl's father before he's even allowed to talk to her. And they are not allowed to be alone together, ever. Hand-holding is not permitted. Their first kiss is supposed to occur when the minister says, "you may now kiss the bride." I did some research on this once because I couldn't believe it was serious, but unfortunately it is.

maurinsky said...

Even the Puritans weren't that fucking puritan. They had a little tradition called "bundling", where a young courting couple could sleep together provided they were individually bundled.

Anonymous said...

I think I saw a movie with that in it.

Fixer said...

I think the more you know about somebody before marriage, the better. Congrats on hitting 10,000 by the way, John.

MDC said...

Don't you people realize that the whole reason God created all of this cool stuff, like sexual pleasure, is so that mortals can experience the joy denying themselves anything fun. The only true religion is one in which you are required to act in opposition to your natural feelings. Jesus, didn't any of you ever go to Sunday School?

Anonymous said...

When I was a teenager, I was taken to a Southern Baptist church. They had two pamphlets for teenagers, one for boys and one for girls. The one for girls basically said that masturbation was a terrible sin. I stole the one for boys from my brother, and discovered that, according to the Baptists, boys had a physical need for release that needed to be relieved through masturbation, but they shouldn't fantasize or look at dirty pictures while they did the deed. Rather, they were to jerk off while simultaneously thanking God for giving them the ability to relieve their needs in this manner. It always seemed to me that would kind of defeat the purpose...

Anonymous said...

Thanks, fixer, you guys sent a lot of traffic over here. And I think your're right, the more you know someone, the better.

The Disgruntled Chemist said...

John, you did see it in a movie once: bundling was in The Patriot. I think it happened to Heath Ledger.

And that whole 'courting' thing is seriously strange. I knew some people in high school who were planning on the no kissing until marriage. Not sure how it worked out, but I can say honestly that one of these kids was the least well-adjusted person I have ever met.

By the way, I posted on this stuff a while ago. The post has a link to an, um, interesting website by one of these crazy courtship types, if you all are interested.

somewaterytart said...

I know a woman who works at a church, who was trying to tell me about how sweet it was that this couple who worked there waited until their wedding to kiss. The bride was a sunday school teacher who told all the little girls in her class about her 'pledge', and got them all to make it, too. I smiled and nodded politely, but was internally screaming: "WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO THESE CHILDREN?!"
Hmm, I may have to post on this.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that was it Chemist. Now that you mention it, I do remember your post (I occaisionally read your blog) about it. All I know is it's ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

If that works for people, then fine. I just can't imagine that it actually does, and trying to teach it to kids like it's the best way to go is just kind of sick if you ask me. We're going to end up with a generation of sexual deviants.

Ol Cranky said...

They had a little tradition called "bundling", where a young courting couple could sleep together provided they were individually bundled.

someone recently did a study on bundling and noted that a small, but significant, proportion of those who engage in it as "good Christians" got pregnant.

Anonymous said...

Actually, if you study such things like I do, according to the book 'Albion's Seed', the Puritans had a premarital pregnancy rate of approximately 70%.

Also, John, don't you remember that we stayed chaste until well after our marriage? We're so pure that we didn't even have sex to conceive a baby.

Anonymous said...

Doesn't sound so puritanical.

I know we didn't have sex to concieve, but I'm kinda hazy onb the staying chaste until out marraige part.